Dmoz is an open directory project that gathers websites arranged by subjects. The directory is managed by community editors and they are in charge of evaluation each submission.
Dmoz is a directory created to include relevant websites, useful for the users. Not all of the websites are excepted. In order to submit a website you must follow the polices for the website to be included in the directory.
There are several steps to follow when submitting the website in this directory, after which it may take up to several months for your website to be listed.
* Please only suggest a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple suggestions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising and suggesting the same URL more than once is not permitted.
* Determine whether a site is appropriate for submission to the ODP:
– Do not suggest mirror sites. Mirror sites are sites that contain identical content, but have altogether different URLs.
– Do not suggest URLs that contain only the same or similar content as other sites you may have listed in the directory. Sites with overlapping and repetitive content are not helpful to users of the directory. Multiple suggestions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites.
– Do not disguise your suggestion and suggest the same content more than once.
Example: http://www.dmoz.org and http://www.dmoz.org/index.html
– Do not suggest any site with an address that redirects to another address.
– The Open Directory has a policy against the inclusion of sites with illegal content. Examples of illegal material include child pornography; libel; material that infringes any intellectual property right; and material that specifically advocates, solicits or abets illegal activity (such as fraud or violence).
– Do not suggest sites “under construction”. Wait until a site is complete before suggesting it. Sites that are incomplete, contain “Under Construction” notices, or contain broken graphics or links aren’t good candidates for the directory.
– Suggest pornographic sites to the appropriate category under Adult.
– Suggest non-English sites to the appropriate category under World.
– Don’t suggest sites consisting largely of affiliate links.
Anyone can submit a URL, but each submission is reviewed by the moderators. You need to closely follow the guidelines in order for your submission to be accepted.
1. Suggest a URL
Follow the steps listed in the instructions:
Make sure that the website you are about to submit follows the guidelines.
Go through the directory in order to check whether the website has already been added.
Choose the best category for the submission. Have in mind that if the website is submitted to a wrong category, it might not be accepted.
Once inside the category of your choice, click on “suggest URL”.
You will have to provide the following information:
– Site URL
– Choose the type of the URL
– Title of the Site
– Site description
Click on “Submit” button and wait for your submission to be accepted. You should not try to submit the same URL again, because your URL might be rejected in that case.
DMoz FAQs: http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/help/submit.html
Open Directory Editing Guidelines: http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/guidelines/describing.html