Facebook is a social networking site, first launched in 2004. Since then, Facebook has become one of the most popular social networking sites with over one billion users. It’s easy to use, it helps people connect and people love spending time on Facebook. Some of the features available on Facebook include posting status updates, creating and joining groups, creating and liking pages, adding friends, etc.
Facebook was first launched in 2004 as a social networking site for the students of Harvard College. It was supposed to be a sort of a platform that would help new students of the Harvard University connect and find their way around the campus. Within the first month, more than the half of the students at Harvard registered on “Thefacebook”, how it was originally called. Mark Zuckerberg and his fellow students started improving and promoting the website.
In March the same year, Facebook was used by students from other universities, with one million students registered on Facebook by the end of 2004. In 2005 a high school version of Facebook was launched, soon to include several companies. From September 26, 2006 Facebook became available for anyone over 13 with a valid email address.
A lot of people gradually started using Facebook as it was a completely new way to connect with other people. As the Facebook was improving and new features and functions were added, so the number of Facebook users was increasing. Today, Facebook has over one billion active users from all over the world. Users create a personal profile after which they get access to Facebook features, including adding friends, sending messages, posting status updates, creating pages / groups / events, etc.
* Registration and Account Security
Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
2. You will not create more than one personal account.
3. If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
4. You will not use your personal timeline primarily for your own commercial gain, and will use a Facebook Page for such purposes.
5. You will not use Facebook if you are under 13.
6. You will not use Facebook if you are a convicted sex offender.
7. You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
8. You will not share your password (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
9. You will not transfer your account (including any Page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.
10. If you select a username or similar identifier for your account or Page, we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe it is appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user’s actual name).
* Protecting Other People’s Rights
We respect other people’s rights, and expect you to do the same.
1. You will not post content or take any action on Facebook that infringes or violates someone else’s rights or otherwise violates the law.
2. We can remove any content or information you post on Facebook if we believe that it violates this Statement or our policies.
3. We provide you with tools to help you protect your intellectual property rights. To learn more, visit our How to Report Claims of Intellectual Property Infringement page.
4. If we remove your content for infringing someone else’s copyright, and you believe we removed it by mistake, we will provide you with an opportunity to appeal.
5. If you repeatedly infringe other people’s intellectual property rights, we will disable your account when appropriate.
6. You will not use our copyrights or trademarks (including Facebook, the Facebook and F Logos, FB, Face, Poke, Book and Wall), or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted by our Brand Usage Guidelines or with our prior written permission.
8. You will not post anyone’s identification documents or sensitive financial information on Facebook.
9. You will not tag users or send email invitations to non-users without their consent. Facebook offers social reporting tools to enable users to provide feedback about tagging.
Anyone older than 13 can create an account on Facebook for free. Fill in the necessary information about yourself in order to join Facebook:
Facebook profiles / pages / groups
Before we continue with explaining how to use Facebook, it is important to understand the difference between Facebook profiles, pages and groups.
Facebook Profile – “Personal profiles, are for individual, non-commercial use. They represent individual people and must be held under an individual name. You can follow profiles to see public updates of people you’re interested in but aren’t friends with.”
Facebook Page – “Facebook Pages look similar to personal profiles, but they offer unique tools for connecting people to a topic they care about, like a business, brand, organization or celebrity. Pages are managed by people who have personal profiles. Pages are not separate Facebook accounts and do not have separate login information from your profile. You can like a Page to see updates in News Feed.
Unlike your profile, Facebook Pages are visible to everyone on the internet by default. You, and every person on Facebook, can connect with these Pages by becoming a fan and then receive their updates in your News Feed and interact with them.”
Facebook Group – “Facebook Groups are the place for small group communication and for people to share their common interests and express their opinion. Groups allow people to come together around a common cause, issue or activity to organize, express objectives, discuss issues, post photos and share related content.
When you create a group, you can decide whether to make it publicly available for anyone to join, require administrator approval for members to join or keep it private and by invitation only. Like with Pages, new posts by a group are included in the News Feeds of its members and members can interact and share with one another from the group.”
How to start with Facebook
After you have created a Facebook account, you can promote your website / blog / business by creating:
Use the button “Create Page” from the drop-down menu.
The next step is to choose the correct field depending on the type of page you want to create, after which you will have to choose one of the offered categories within that group. There are various categories to choose from in this field and they refer to the type of the activity your company deals with.
First step – About
Here you can add a description of your company; add the website and / or a Twitter account. It is important to explain who you are and what is that your company does, so that people can easily find you on Facebook.
Second step – Profile Picture
It is important to set up your profile picture so that people can easily recognize you. It can be a company logo or some picture that represents your business. The profile picture can be uploaded from your computer or imported from your website.
Third step – Add to Favorites
Adding your Company page to your favorites will enable you to quickly access the page from your News Feed.
Fourth step – Reach more people
The goal, when setting up your Facebook page, is to reach as many people as possible, as those might be your potential customers. Advertising on Facebook is one way to reach more people, especially advisable when you are starting your page.
All of these steps can be skipped at this point, since all of these things can be adjusted later on directly from your page.
Now that you have successfully setup your page, let us see how it looks like.
– Adding profile photo
– Adding cover photo
– Adding description
– Adding milestones
– Enabling reviews
First step – Visit the following address http://www.facebook.com/groups.
Second step – Click the “Create Group” button.
Third step – After naming the Group and inviting some of the people that you have as friends on your profile, you choose the option to set the privacy of our group. We have three possibilities:
Open: Anyone can see the group, the group members and anything published by the members.
Closed: Anyone can view the group and the group members, but only members can view what has been published.
Secret: Only members can see the group, the group members and the content published by the other members.
Fifth step – Customize the group.
Now that we have created a group, it is important to customize it, because that will transmit a good image to the future visitors and help its growth.
If you want to use your Facebook profile or page to create an event, find the option Event from the left menu on your homepage. Once you click on this option, you will see the list of the events that you are invited to, as well as the “Create Event” button at the top of the page.
In order to create an event, you should provide the following:
The name of the event
Details – Add more information about the event
Where – Add the location of the event.
When – Add the date and the time of the event.
Privacy – You should specify whether the event will be public, visible to friends of the guests or only those invited.
Guest can invite friends – You can either mark or unmark this option.
Besides the information you have already provided about your event, you can now add a photo as well.
If you add the location and the time of the event, the guest will be able to get clear directions on how to get there. In addition, if the time is known, Facebook will also provide weather forecast for the event.