Link building is the activity that helps you get links pointing to your website. If it is true, that links are an important factor in the algorithm of search engines, in SEO 2.0 (unlike traditional SEO) we will have to be very selective in this type of activity. The quality of the links that you seek will be much more important than quantity.
Your goal will be mainly getting “editorial” type of links, i.e. natural links that the owners of a website have created without the apparent intervention of third parties. Such links are not easy to come by, and as we shall see in the tasks in this area many times you should apply techniques typical for PR in order to get these precious links.
After the “updates” in the algorithms of the search engines, Google in particular, the links that once worked, now can even be harmful. For this reason, we must completely rule out automated methods of getting links and focus on quality links. These are typical characteristics of quality links:
– Come from sites of a high “authority” (remember that you can measure authority using the Moz bar).
– Not only does this type of link have value from the point of view of SEO, but it also provides quality visits.
– You must seek links from sites related directly to the topic of your website.
Many authors suggest a new name for the link building: the “link earning”, meaning the links should be earned, so it is important to rely on a top-quality content on your website.
You can find more information on this topics using these resources:
– When we talk about quality of links we refer to links that meet the following parameters:
Links from websites dealing with the subject that is directly related to your website. It is about getting valuable links, because those will bring quality traffic to our website, apart from SEO purposes.
Links from sites with “authority”. Seek links from websites that are highly positioned by the search engines. A good way to measure it is to use the following plugin:
Once you have downloaded this plugin for your browser, you will be able see the so-called MozRank of the websites you visit (ranking ranges from 0 to 100).
– As we have said earlier, the quality of the links is more important than quantity; it is better to have a link from a relevant site with authority than hundreds of “spammy” links. Moreover, a lot of low quality links can lead to penalties from the search engines.
– In order to avoid penalties it is also important to diversify so-called anchor text you use. In other words, you should avoid getting links that always use the same keyword. This is why it is recommended to diversify the text used in the links: variations of the keyword, the name of your brand, common phrases like “click here”, “this link”, etc.
– Having quality content on your website is going to be vital to enable you to achieve what we have previously called “editorial links”. Indeed, no one wants to link to the websites with poor content of little value. For this reason, respecting the parameters described in the task of content marketing will greatly facilitate our work.
In each of the tasks that we propose the following fields are specified:
Title: The name of the task that is the subject of explanation.
URL: The address where you can find, if applicable, the resource used.
Theory: In this field we provide theoretical aspects of the subject we are dealing with. This way you know that basics of the instructions and guidelines that we propose.
Description: A brief explanation of the nature of the task.
Guidelines: Rules and considerations that must be taken into account when performing each task.
Instructions: Step by step, detailed instructions on how to perform a certain task.
Additional Resources: In some cases, we mention other sites, if you want more information on the type of task we are proposing.
Setup time: This includes the following:
– Time to read the instructions for the task.
– Time necessary to conduct the proposed task. Many times it will be an approximate amount of time, and it will vary depending on the number of links you want to include.
For more information about the MOZ toolbar, these instructions will be of great help: SEOmoz toolbar, or MozBar allows you to access the most important SEO data while surfing the internet. All you have to do is download the toolbar and you constantly see it at the top of your browser.
SEOmoz toolbar allows you to:
– Access SEO metrics directly from your browser
After installing the SEOmoz toolbar, you will easily see the SEO metrics from your browser. Some of the metrics available in this toolbar include the authority of the website and domain, link counts, strength ranking, etc. Using the metrics allows you to quickly analyze the website you are visiting.
– Analyze Page Overlay
If you need more information about the page you are considering, use the “Analyze Page Overlay” feature, so that you can examine the elements of the page such as metadata, keywords and other attributes, as well as information regarding links. Use the option “Get a full page analysis” for a complete revision of the page. By analyzing these elements you can get optimized instant review of your website. As a result, this tool can help improve the data on your website and make sure it is fully optimized and friendly in terms of SEO.
The page analysis consists of three parts:
Elements within the page – here you can examine the on-site elements such as meta-tags title, data, header, etc, and how to directly influence the position your website in search engines, which is why you initially analyze your page, that is, to see how optimized it is.
Page Attributes – meta robots, load time, the rel = “canonical” and the data on the internal links are included. You will see that these metrics are extremely useful in conducting an internal analysis of the use of keywords.
Data links – this tab gives you information about the metrics of your links. Some features included are the authority of the page, positioning itself to Moz: mozRank, total links, internal and external links, domains following the links, etc. You can export all this information and easily navigate in Open Site Explorer.
Highlight the links – the most important features of using SEOmoz toolbar is highlighting links. You can use it to highlight the follow or no-follow links, internal and external, etc. While searching for a particular term in a search engine, you can choose to highlight the links.
SERP overlay allows you to compare metrics of links on Google, Yahoo! and Bing. Compare metrics and create custom searches.
Besides the SERP results, you can also create custom profiles to perform a search query that gives objective results. This is very convenient if you need to implement additional metrics to your analysis, such as geographic location.
Customization Tool: In order to edit the features that gives you the SEOmoz toolbar to do a custom scan, use the menu options to choose the metrics you want to see displayed. This will give you a personalized assessment of the metrics that interests you to monitor. The features you can choose to enable or disable are: Moz Metrics (mozRank, Domain mozRank, MozTrust, Domain MozTrust) and external configuration (Show or hide MozBar, show or hide SERP overlay). The SEOmoz toolbar is a free tool that can be downloaded from the web site SEOmoz. It is available for users of Firefox and Chrome.
Since the optimization within the page is necessary for good SEO, you will find that this toolbar is very useful since it allows you to examine and analyze the elements within the page very easily from your browser. Detect metrics that interest you and disable those that you do not need to see, so you have a personalized assessment of your website in terms of keywords, links and other elements.