Search Engine Ranking Position (SERP) is a listing of results shown by search engines in a response to your search. After you enter a term in a search engine you will see a list of results that vary based on different components.
Major search engines use several different listings such as contextual, algorithmic and organic, in order to cross-reference the data and show the relevant results. These are often called organic search results, and besides these metrics they also use content types, such as images, news and blog, as well as external factors such as backlinks, social media, etc.
Are results in different positions ranked by different algorithms?
There are three main components of the SERP:
Actual Search Query – The word that is typed in the search bar by the user.
Organic SERP listing – Natural listing generated by a search engine based on different features in order to determine the relevance.
Paid SERP listing – It includes paid advertisements and sponsored links in the search results.
SERP is what is going to bring visitors to your website. Chances are that the highest your website is ranked in the search results, the more chances you have for people clicking and visiting your website.
SERP is basically the listing of web pages, displayed in the search engine as a result of a query. Regardless if we talk about organic or paid results, the user will see certain websites after searching a term in one of the search engines.
For example, if we want to find out recommendations about the best SEO tools, we would type “SEO tools” in the search bar, and here are the results.
The first three results are paid links related to the term we have used in the search bar. The paid results are usually places above the organic results or on the right side of the screen, and they have an orange label that says “Ad”. The results without this label are organic results, meaning that these results are generated by the search engines that uses special algorithm to order the results based on relevance.
Why is SERP important?
Before we explain the importance of SERP, you should have in mind the following statistics:
- 53% of clicks go to the first results in the search engines
- 15% of users click on the second results in the search engines
- 9% of users click on the third results in the search engines
- 85% of listings are organic, while 15% are paid search listings
The percentage of users clicking on the results that are ranked on the fifth place or lower is under 5%, which means that it is most likely that if a website is ranked that low, hardly anyone will visit it.
If you want to promote your business, to increase sales, to encourage people to interact with you, you need visitors, and the only way you can get that is by increasing your position in the search engines. Furthermore, websites ranked at the top of the search results are usually consider genuine, reliable, trust-worthy, and unlikely to feature spammy content.
The benefits of improving the position of a website in the search engine results:
- Increase the number of visitors
- Increase the credibility of a website
- Increase the possibility for conversions / sales
- Increase the possibility to obtain leads
In order to understand the factors that affect ranking, watch this presentation:
Moz 2013 Ranking Factors – Matt Peters MozCon
Having in mind the importance of search engine ranking position of a website, it is useful to measure the SERP if possible, in order to analyze the position of the website in organic SERP listing. This kind of analysis enables you to learn how well your website is ranked and if there are ways to improve its position.
There are several tools that enable you to check search engine ranking position. Using SERP checker you will be able to find out where your website is ranked by the most important search engines.
SERP Checker at whatsmyserp.com
This is a free keyword rank checker that allows you to analyze the SERP for multiple domains and keywords. In order to use this SERP checker you should:
- Type the domain name
- Choose your region from the dropdown menu (optional)
- Type three competition domains (optional)
- Enter keywords (up to 20)
- Observe the SERP details in the window on the right
If you register, you can add multiple domains and more keywords. All users can submit up to 20 keywords, but registered users can include 12 domains and 25 keywords per domain. In addition, registered users are able to track SERP history for each keyword. The registration is free.
SERP Checker at sitemapdoc.com
Analyze your website SERP rank using this free online tool. All you have to do is:
- Add URL to test
- Add search terms (keywords)
- Click on the button “Search”
- You will see the SERP for your website related to the keyword you have specified.
SERP Checker at serprank.com
In order to analyze the position of your website in search engines Google, Yahoo and Bing you can use this online checker. The usage of this SERP checker is similar to the previous one.
- Add the URL of the website you wish to test
- Provide a keyword
- Choose a search engine (Google, Yahoo or Bing)
- Click on “Check SERP Rank”
If you want to conduct the analysis for multiple keywords, this website allows a free download of SERP Rank Firefox Plugin. Although currently available for Firefox browser only, it is expected that support for Chrome will be introduced soon. The features included in this plugin are:
- Multiple keywords and multiple domains
- Multiple countries and language
- Analyze the competitors
- Saves keywords for future checking
- Export results in CSV file
SERP Checker at rankingcheck.com
This checker allows you to check ranking for up to three keywords. In order to use it you should:
- Enter the URL of the website
- Enter keyword (up to 3)
- Enter validation code
- Choose one of the three search engines (Google, Yahoo, or MSN)
- Click on “Check Ranking”
Rankingcheck.com allows you to check your ranking on a weekly basis if you register for a free account. In addition, you can save searches in the history of your account in order to compare the previous results with the new data easily.
So far we have suggested free tools for checking your search engine ranking position. Moz Rank Tracker is a paid tool that enables you to get the data about your ranking for pages and keywords. This tool is available to Moz Analytics subscribers. The built-in Rank Tracker supports Google, Yahoo and Bing. You can get the comprehensive data about your SERP in order to analyze your position and discover ways to improve it.
Presented in the campaign-based tracking layout, the data about your website will help you determine the relevant figures about your website, which will ultimately enable you to improve the performance of your website.
Alexa is a web company that provides website analytics, but it is more famous for its website ranking system, called Alexa Rank. Alexa Rank tracks over 30 millions websites and its estimates are based on a diverse sample of millions of internet users around the world using Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Check the website ranking on Alexa:
- Visit the website alexa.com
- Enter the website’s URL
- Click the green “Go” button
Beside general ranking on Alexa, this free service helps you get various data about the influence of your website on the Internet. In addition, you can use this rank checker to analyze your competitors and to compare the data.
- How popular is your website? (It shows the global ranking, as well as the rank in the specific country.)
- How engaged are visitors on your website? (You can see the bounce rate, daily page views per visitors and daily time on the site.)
- Who visits your website? (You can see rough estimates when it comes to gender, education and location.)
- Where do visitors come from? (It shows the top keywords from search engines that send traffic to the site.)
- What sites are related to your website? (It shows the related links.)
- How fast does your website load? (It shows the speed of your website, and compares it to the average time of loading.)
- Alexa offers additional options with metrics and tools to analyze and increase your website traffic if you decide to upgrade to Alexa PRO.
What is Alexa.com and how it can benefit you
SEO PowerSuite is search engine optimization software that was launched by link-assistant.com. The purpose of this product is to apply different techniques and tools that will improve your SEO. There are two editions of the software. One edition is free for download at link-assistant.com website. The other edition of SEO PowerSuite is available to order.
This software consists of four software tools that are put together.
- Rank Tracker
- Website Auditor
- SEO SpyGlass
- Link Assistant
Which tool to choose to conduct a SERP check, is completely up to you. There is no doubt that this kind of analysis is important and you should find ways of exploring SERP as it can help you determine how effective you search engine optimization strategy is. As a result, this will help you improve or maintain the position at the top of the search engine results pages.