Including title and meta tags is essential. The goal with this is helping search engine robots to properly classify a page.
The meta tags are HTML tags that are placed in the HEAD of the page:
<HEAD> metatags </ HEAD>
They are used to provide information such as title, description, author, etc. to those who visit the page.
The syntax is:
<meta name “” content = “” />
Search engines, such as Google are not able to see the website as they are seen by the user. Instead, search engines track the source code, so that all the information related to the website we want search engine to know, should be displayed in logical ordered and follow coding standards.
This is how a user sees the website:
This is how Google sees the website:
Title and meta tags are codes that provide information to the search engines and are invisible to the end user. These labels were the main factor used by search engines to index pages. However, at present their influence on the positioning is quite questionable. Some search engines still show the page description from description meta tag in their search results, especially in cases where there is not much content on the page and the search engine is forced to resort to the meta tags.
The two main meta tags are used in SEO:
– Description meta tag
– Keyword meta tag
Therefore, we must correctly specify meta tags for each page of our website. It is important to note that the meta tags should be different for each page in order to adapt the tag according to the content that can be found on that page. Currently, the most important tags are the <title> and meta description.
Title tag is a fundamental element for positioning. The best way to optimize a web page titles is to add keywords associated with each page i.e. each product or service offered on that page and category. In this way, we will improve the influence of long-tail i.e. as many visits are scattered among different categories of products / services. This means that the user come directly to the page of the particular search product / service or category in question and in many cases they will not come to visit the main page.
The title is a label located inside the <head> section of each page and it is displayed at the top of the browser.
This is how Google sees it:
This is how user sees it:
The description tag is really important, since it is often shown in the search results. It should also be placed inside the head section of the HTML code.
The keywords meta tags have lost their importance for SEO, as most search engines do not take them into account.
In the task of optimizing titles we recommend:
– Do not exceed 65 characters including spaces
– Consistently include keywords which are relevant to the content of the page
– The most important keywords should be placed as far left as possible
– Separate words or phrases with the symbol |, leaving a standard structure:
Keyword | Keyword 2 | Short Description
Including or not the company name in the title is a common practice. It is recommended to do that on the main page but on other pages you should use this space for keyword criteria.
How to insert the Title tag in WordPress?
By default WordPress, title tags include the title of the post or page. If you want to customize the title to optimize it for search engines, you can install a plugin called All in One SEO. You can do it from the WordPress administration panel, in the “Plugins” section – “Add New”.
After the new plugin, located in the “Settings” menu is installed, you can change some general settings if you think this is necessary.
In order to modify and customize the Title of each of the pages individually, you must first access to “Posts” and select a post to modify the URL. On the other hand, if you want to modify a page, you must access the “Pages” section.
Once you are in edit mode of the post or page, you will see a section of the page called All in One SEO Pack. You can customize the Title:
After you have changed the URL, click on “Update” to save the changes.
Meta Description tag should briefly define the purpose of the page in question, but we recommend the following guidelines:
– Brief and coherent description which is 100% related to the content of the page in question
– Description should consist of a minimum of 150 characters (including spaces) and should not exceed more than 250 characters.
– It should contain keywords, but without the text losing coherence (the list of keywords is for keywords meta tag ).
– Use commercially attractive language to persuade the user when reading the description in the search results.
How to insert the description tag in WordPress?
WordPress by default sets a part of the text as description of the post or page. If we want to customize the description to optimize it for search engines, we can use the same plugin we have talked about before.
In order to modify and customize the description meta tag of each of the separate pages, you must first access to “Posts” and select a post to modify the description. On the other hand, if you want to modify a page, you must access the “Pages” section. Once you are in edit mode of the post or page, you will see a section called All in One SEO Pack. You can customize the description meta tag:
In the case of keywords meta tag, you should include keywords listed in the order of importance within the page and the keywords should be separated by commas.
Tips to follow when optimizing keyword meta tag:
– Do not abuse the keywords on each page: it is recommended to add between 3-10 keywords per page.
– Sort them by importance or relevance to the page in question (the most generic keywords would be on the homepage, and more specific on each inner page that is about the product or service).
– Separate each keyword with a comma.
– If necessary, use synonyms or words that users often misspelled, as those can bring traffic.
– Do not spam (i.e. avoid including keywords that are not related content of the page).
Here we have a video of Matt Cutts explaining on how much time should be spent on meta tags and which tags are important: