The URL refers to the domain of the site and its location in the system, for example, http://www.domain.en/folder/page.html.
The URL (uniform resource locator) is a series of characters that designate an Internet address. This address is unique and different from any other resource available on the Internet.
This acronym was first used by British scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1991, and served to allow the authors to make hyperlinks between documents on the WWW.
When working on SEO, it is important for URLs to contain keywords.
In many cases, pages often have URLs which are not optimized such as “section1.html” or “page.php?Id=123¶meter=x”. These URLs are not “friendly” to search engines.
A friendly URL is a URL that users can easily remember and the one that has a semantic structure understandable to search engine crawlers. In order to create friendly URLs, you should take into account the following aspects:
– Short URLs: Enough to convey an idea without removing essential information.
– Easy to read.
– Ordered: The URL that follows the structure of the website itself, indicating the category and the corresponding product, for example, by folders /hotels/hotels-mallorca.html.
– Static structures of the URL: Avoid dynamic URLs that are generated automatically with a series of strange characters and words that do not provide value for the user and for the search engine crawlers.
– Use the hyphen (-) to separate words, not underscore (_). It is preferable that the URLs are structured with several words with hyphen because these structures are more easily interpreted and indexed by search engines.
– Do not use capital letters. Unlike domain names, URLs are case-sensitive. It is advised not to use capital letters to avoid confusing the users, which are used for writing the URLs in small letters. Do not generate two URLs showing the same content as this may seem as duplicate content.
– Domains can be accessed with or without www (this is solved with the canonical 301 redirect).
How to modify the URLs with WordPress?
In order to modify and customize the URL of each of the pages that make up your website through WordPress manager, you must first access to “Posts” and select the post to modify its URL. Obviously, if you want to modify the URL of a page, you must access the “Pages” section.
Once you are in the edit mode of the post or page, you just need to click on the edit button, next to the URL, visible below the title field.
Have in mind the following standards:
– You should never use spaces in this section. You should only use hyphens to separate words.
– You can not use special characters such as accents, questions or “ñ”.